Todd and I are graduated from BYU-Idaho. He got his Bachelors in Accounting, with clusters in Business and Portuguese. I got my Associates in Floral Design Management and walked for my Bachelors in Horticulture with an emphasis in Floral Design, with clusters in Child Development and Home and Family Studies. I will take one credit this fall to earn my Bachelors by December.
It was a great day, long but great. It's nice to be done with school, but we will both definitely miss Rexburg, and all that is there. We feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to receive our education there where the Spirit is always present. We gained some great friendships that we will miss as well.
After graduation, we had a week to pack and move down to Salt Lake City, Utah. We moved out and in on Monday and have been unpacking and organizing ever since. It's been kind of a culture shock from Rexburg to SLC. We thought that since we would be going to the Church headquarter city that it would be similiar to Rexburg, but we were so wrong. We've only seen a few people that have looked like our age in the city, and no one in our apartment complex yet. Our door mat was stolen two days ago from in front of our door. Our apartment is all in a building so it wasn't like it was outside; it was on the carpet in the hallway and it was taken. :( It served us well for almost three years and now we have to part with it. SLC is so much more culturally diverse than we had ever imagined. There are people from all walks of life in this city and in our complex as well. Even though there is a university, we haven't seen very many students. We are anxious to go to Church though on Sunday to meet people in the area that we have a connection with. It will be a family ward and not a student ward and that will be interesting. We have heard that many wards have service missionaries called to them to have callings in the bishopric and such because there aren't enough worthy Melchizedek priesthood holders in the ward boundaries. That's very foreign to me.
We have been taking this time to get to know the area, like the movie theatres, grocery stores, restaurants, shopping centers, hospitals, etc. are. Todd starts school at the University of Utah August 16th, so we are going to go explore the campus and TRAX soon. After he starts school, I will be very bored waiting at home for the baby to come. I need to find the public library so I can check out some great books.
Todd's birthday was yesterday. He's 25 years old and he said that feels really weird. We went to see Inception at the movie theatre and it was amazing! It is definitely a thinker movie so don't go see it if you are planning on sleeping, have a tendency to sleep or want to just veg for a bit. You need to be at the top of your game mentally. It has a lot of suspense that helps with the whole sleeping problem. :) I made him a cake and beat him at Cribbage. We also rented a Redbox and got GI-JOE which he had seen already. It was...interesting and not how I pictured GI-JOE at all. I've seen those action figures and they are not anything like how they were portrayed in the movie. In the credits it said, "Based on the Hasbro characters." Yeah right!! They only thing they took from Hasbro was the name. Oh well. It was ok. Terrible computer animation though, just terrible. Anyway...this is not a movie review blog. He had a good day and got a lot of calls and texts from friends and family which was so nice since we didn't have a party or anything. He got a few gifts from family and will get more as they come in the mail.
This is definitely a new adventure for both of us, but I'm so glad I'm doing it with him and not alone. We'll be having a baby here soon too and that's going to change our lives FOREVER! I made a tile with the saying, "Enjoy the Journey" for a Relief Society activity and put it by the mirror in the bathroom to remind me a couple times a day that I will look back on these times in life and miss them so much and hold them precious. Well, wish us luck!
P.S. I'll probably be blogging a lot more now that I'll have the time. :)
Girl I am sooo excited you are in Salt Lake. Scott and I are probably moving there in a year because I am applying to a graduate program at U of U (fingers crossed I get in). As it is I drive there once a week because I volunteer at Primary Children's so I will totally be in the area. Let me know if you ever want me to stop by or need help! This next semester is going to be a crazy one for me but I definitely want to see you! I'm excited that we are a little closer in location and even though we have different responsibilities we should go on a double date or a girly (+baby) adventure! love ya!
ReplyDeleteGood keep blogging! Happy Birthday Todd! and congrats on graduating.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get all settled and that you like Salt Lake. It is def. different than anywhere in Idaho, so make sure that you stay safe!!! Enjoy your adventure. I'm sure it will be a good one :). Can't wait til baby Laney joins the family!