Thursday, June 23, 2011

Marriage Advice

Never let your love die. I've been married almost 4 years come August. I love Todd more now than I did 4 years ago and I know our love will continue to grow together.


Recently for FHE, we watched the movie Fireproof. It's really great for any couple to watch, married or not YET married. ;) It's at Blockbuster or on YouTube.

One of the biggest points of advice I have came from that movie: Never stop studying each other. You can't just stop at a high school diploma. You must go on and get a Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate degrees in your spouse. Learn everything you can. Have deep heart to hearts. Ask questions. Ask why. You be the expert on your spouse, more than their mother is! ;)

Another thing (and this just comes from me): Defend each other, especially in social situations. They need to know that you have their back at all times. Even if you don't completely agree with something, stand behind them, vouch for them, explain their reasoning. Never reveal something to others that is personal or private. Having that information is a privledge. Don't freely give it away.

One time we were with a group of friends and the husband was gone putting their daughter down for bed in the next room. While he was out, one of the other husbands asked the wife, "Tell us something about Sam that he wouldn't want us to know. Tell us something embarassing." She resisted at first but everyone was pushing her so she told everyone his nightly routine that was kinda funny. It wasn't a deep dark secret but I don't know that he would've told them himself. I felt bad and I think she did too.

Take one step, one day at a time. You will do great. The engagement is the hardest part of your life together. Since there is opposition, it is RIGHT and GOOD. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jolyn.
    Some of the best things in our marriage is from your wisdom. Even though it's hard to remember those simple things, when you do, you notice.
    I love that you and Todd are normal human beings in that you can get irritated with each other, but you still love each other and care. I've never heard you complain about him.
    You are a great example to me and I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice! All true. I like the school analogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this and a blog from Chantel talking about engagement. how funny! Good advice though :) Engagement is such a weird season of life. it's exciting but it's a waiting period that I'm not super fond of. haha. soon enough.

    ReplyDelete