Thursday, February 23, 2012

Update

It's been forever since I've written anything about TJ. It's totally my fault and he's changed so much in the past 2 months. He's so stinkin' smart. He's funny. He picks up on things so fast. He's anxious to learn and asks about everything. We can completely communicate everything, but why he needs 6-7 shots everyday. He knows enough words to understand what I say to him. I use the words I know he knows so that he can get it. He loves to read and sing. He loves Elmo. He likes to make us smile and laugh. He loves his daddy and misses him every day. He is the sweetest thing.
This morning he went through almost all 5 stages of grief when Todd left for work. Todd was saying "bye" and TJ was waving. Then TJ ran up to Todd and lifted his arms up with big puppy dog eyes. Todd puts down his bag and picks up TJ. TJ says, "daddy work," and points to the door. I pick up Todd's bag and we all walk out to the car. TJ's all excited thinking that he's going with daddy to work. Once we load Todd's bag and eventually Todd in the car, and I take TJ, reality sets in. Todd rolls down the window and waves to TJ saying "bye". TJ's smile fades. He's almost in shock and slowly waves back. Todd drives away and it starts.
1. Denial - "no"
2. Anger - a swing and a miss. fall on the ground, screaming.
3. Bargaining - can't really yet, thank goodness
4. Depression - then he was just sober
5. Acceptance - then once we got inside he said, "eat" :)
Throughout the day, TJ asks, "daddy?" and I say "He's at work." Sometimes he says, "work", sometimes "all gone". I've been trying to teach him what back means. He'll be back. I'll be right back. etc. Once he learns that word, life will be so much easier I think.
He's a pretty good kid. This morning he made a mess, not huge though. He grabbed a box of bandaids and flipped it upside down and shook it so they all came out. Todd and I both saw but we weren't concerned. Usually he makes a mess and then likes to clean it up. He'll carefully put them all back in (until he loses interest of course). He'll take out all my cookie sheets and muffin tins out of the bottom of my stove, but he'll put them back in. He's kind of an organizer. He's pretty particular at times and will straighten or work on something until it's just right.
With the whole diabetes thing, I don't look at my kid and think, "He's got diabetes." I didn't think I'd get to that point, especially not this fast. It's been 2 months and 3 days since he was diagnosed. Weird. That's it?? That long?? I just feel like he's just got this thing we have to do. It's weird to think when we didn't have to regulate everything he was eating and counting carbs and making sure we got exercise!! When I see other parents just give their kids snacks right after lunch, I think, "It hasn't been 2 hours yet!" and "Did you count out how many Goldfish that just was?" and "They can just eat a cookie? No big deal?" It's kind of strange how your mind changes.
Some of the rules we have (because I know some of you are curious):
1. Always ALWAYS count carbs. It's simple math really and I've gotten really good at long division again by hand.
2. If TJ has carbs, we have to wait at least 2 hours until he has more carbs. If he's hungry, he can have free foods. Those are like, veggies, cheese, and meat. He can eat all he wants of any free food no matter what time of day it is.
3. He gets a finger prick before every meal and at bedtime. Sometimes also at his 2 snack times or if he's just acting weird and I think his blood sugar is low or high. It ranges between 4-6 times a day.
4. He's got a blood clot still in his right leg and has 2 extra shots a day because of the Lovenox (blood thinner). This also makes his finger pricks bleed longer and makes me very nervous just letting him run and play because if he falls, it could potentially be an ER trip. Or he could have major internal bleeding which is even scarier.
5. We dose him depending on his current blood sugar level and on how many carbs he eats for the meal.
I feel like that's it, but there's probably more that I do that I don't think of anymore, like it's subconscious now.

Photos:
I love my camera.

TJ loves puddles.

Handsome boy.

Look at his teeth!

Business man

He loves elephants not matter what shape or size.

Splashing at the zoo. 

His girlfriend Emmy

His mentor and friend, Aiden. They are buds.

Cousin Rock and Caca. Too bad Grandma Caca didn't have footie PJ's too! Bummer. But she came to visit twice in the last month or so. YAY!

We've had so much help, meals, babysitting, just asking how we are, emails, advice, visits, and an anonymous person who helped us pay off the rest of our student loans. Thank you to whoever that was. Thank you. Now we are just in debt to the hospital and doctors.
We've been so so blessed. I thank the Lord everyday for friends and family and people who help and care about us.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are doing well. It reminds me of when I am pregnant. I had gestational diabetes with both kids. And I should probably watch what I eat better now...but it is so hard. It is such a life style change! You are a great mom. Keep up the great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures. And I liked the story about his dad leaving. haha good thing he hasn't learned to bargain...that'll be a fun day!!

    The student loan thing is amazing. How spectacular. What a great blessing.

    ReplyDelete