Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Potty Train

Mr. TJ is on the potty train! He showed signs of readiness about 6 months ago but I totally ignored them because I was too scared to potty train him. Potty training is training for both the kid and the parents. You have to remind. You have to know where the bathrooms are at all times. You have to clean up messes. You have to teach. You have to dedicate yourself completely. It's a tough job. 

Potty Training Day 1:
We halfway potty trained Saturday and Sunday. We just tested the waters. Diapers on at naps and bed. Diaper through church. No plan just underwear. 

We truly started to train him yesterday. I bought a potty training guide online and read through the pages. Saturday we didn't follow any of her guidelines and rules. As I was reading I was like, "Nope, didn't do that. Hmmm not that either."

I printed out a sticker chart. He's a sticker man and they motivate him pretty well. We gave him a sticker and a hot wheels car when he peed in the potty. We were desperate. Just freakin' pee! He had about 80% accidents, 20% in the potty. The only times he peed in the potty were while Madi was here and when Daddy got home. I guess I'm not that important to impress. :) it was really frustrating at times but those times that he got it and peed were like the best times of my life!! It was so great and I felt so proud. 

At one point, he ran into his room and slammed the door. BIG CLUE: he was going to poop. I run over there but he's holding the door shut from the other side. I keep pushing back and saying we need to poop in the potty but he screamed and said to go away and I couldn't come in! Finally I pushed that door open and grabbed him and ran to the bathroom. Too bad there was already a lump. While pushing against the door with all his might, he pushed that poop right out. 

He would say he needed to pee and we'd rush to the toilet and he'd sit there and say that he was done or didn't need to pee and we'd get off and go play for another 5 mins and do it over again. After 2-4 times doing this, he'd have an accident. Whew. 

The pump hasn't been the struggle I thought it would be. We just work around it and attach it to his underwear. 

The biggest problem has been aiming. He's sitting to pee but his little wiener points straight out to the wall. A couple of times he was peeing into the toilet but the stream would go under the seat but on top of the bowl and spray out onto his underwear and the floor. T_T

The program we are using suggested that we make the kid clean up their accidents with you so they learn about that consequence. TJ is different. He LOVES to clean. There was one point the first day where he peed on the carpet and as he was standing there he said, "Let me squeeze it (the cleaner bottle) and wipe it up!" At that point I realized it wasn't a punishment or learning moment, it was a reward to clean. I stopped letting him help right away. 

Potty Training Day 2:
He wakes me up by yelling, "MOMMY I NEED TO GO POTTY!!" I jump out of bed so happy knowing he was in a diaper and still decided to pee in the potty. Today was going to be a great day!! I pulled his diaper off and he sat down and peed!!! Wow I was so dang proud of him! 

Throughout all of day 2 he only had 2 pee accidents and still pooped in his underwear. 2! Out of about 10 on day 1. Something just clicked I guess. He always told me when he needed to pee. Sometimes he would be pee shy and we'd put his pants back on. And we'd try again 5 mins later. Near the end of the day he asked me to step out while he peed. :) Pretty cute but I stay there to make sure he's aiming down. It's a little scary to walk away. 

We were able to get out of the house for a bit yesterday. We went to our leasing office so I could sign our lease renewal. We also drove to a friends house and back. I was worried so I put a towel in his lap while we drove just in case we had an accident. I didn't want it all on his carseat. 

Overall he has done so well. I couldn't be more proud. 

Potty Training Day 3:
No accidents today! He peed and pooped in the potty! The poop was an awesome accomplishment. 

We were allowed to leave the house for an excursion today so we went to the mall. I had to do some Father's Day shopping. 

The mall is a bad idea with a potty training kid. The bathrooms are few and very far between. We were in the Disney store and TJ started dancing and grabbing himself. He started to tell me he needed to go potty but stopped knowing he'd have to leave the store. I didn't care and we rushed to the nearest bathroom which was Macy's. We were in the store right next to Macy's but the bathroom was on the exact opposite side of the store. Finally we get into a stall and I set him on the potty. He freaks out and freezes. He's been in public restrooms with me before and always wants to be part of the process in getting tp and flushing. Nope. I was kneeling on that nasty floor for about 30 mins. Begging TJ, bribing TJ with all that I had. I knew we couldn't go back to the Disney store cuz he wouldn't make it back without peeing his pants. Or if he did, we'd have to make that trek again if he decided he did need to pee again. 

We finally left that bathroom. TJ in tears. And probably traumatized after about an hour. We stayed around there just in case. I decided to give him a snack to calm him down and speak to him. I checked his blood sugar and he was at 43!!! That's pretty low and really affects your mood in a negative way. No wonder he was having the worst time. 

I decided to give up and just let him pee his pants. I never wanted to be the reason he had an accident like because of my failure to act but I was done and tired. We picked up Todd's watch and headed home. He still never peed so I put him in a diaper for nap. Never leaving the house again. 


*UPDATE: TJ has done great the rest ofte week. A few accidents but hardly any. He's peed at the park in the grass twice and in the parking lot. He still hasn't peed in a public restroom but I wouldn't if I had the choice :) last night his diaper was dry in the morning and at naps his diaper has been dry. He's really good and has started wanting to stand up to pee like Daddy. He decided that all on his own with no pushing from me. He's not too bad at aiming too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment